Dentist stories – the delayed sequel to the sequel [Update]


Last time I wrote about the dentist I concluded after a 90 minute session of chipping away my upper right back molar:

I will be back in 2 weeks for a check-up. We will likely wait for 4 weeks before fitting the actual crown, because a crack is difficult to make out and it is not sure how deeply it advanced into the denting and towards the nerve.

This was end August.
I am not sure whether I made an appointment right after that intense session. But I can tell with some certainty that I did not put it into my calendar. And normally the dentist’s receptionist calls before an appointment. So in fact, most likely we did not make an appointment that day and the whole idea of returning to the dentist got somehow lost in time.

4 weeks passed and I experienced the joy of initiating a temporary crown in my kisser: it was not great at first. It was a little sensitive throughout the first day or two and each time I put some pressure on that tooth I could “feel” it. Not like in painful feel it. But, you know, I felt there was something different. I guess this started to get better after 2 weeks and at the 4th week things had smoothened out real nice.

So I forgot about it.
And another 4 weeks passed.

It must have been sometime end October I remembered that: hey – shouldn’t I have that temporary crown checked? It was only then that I realized that time-wise things must have gotten a little out of hand.
I called the dentist’s office and made an appointment. On that appointment we did a quick review, laughed happily at the time that had passed so quickly, concluded that things must be good if it worked so well for so long and also locked and loaded on the type of crown I wanted to get.

Then last week we took off the temporary crown, cleaned it, made impressions, and then put it back on. While I worried that I would have similar sensitivity issues again after removing that crown and putting it back on, I could not have been more wrong: this time the temporary crown did not act up at all and it felt right away as if it had always belonged on top of that mutilated molar. Nice job!

Today I then had the appointment to replace the temporary crown with the final one. I got a call the night before from the receptionist to remind me of that appointment. I thanked her and told her that – of course! – I would be there at 9:15 am today.

And then I forgot it.

This morning I was sitting in a meeting with my boss when I received a call at 9:15 from the receptionist who was wondering where the heck I was, because normally I would always be early. But not today. Oops…
Luckily the doctor’s office is within 15 minutes walking distance. I told my boss that the tooth is calling and I took off.

Once I arrived, I went directly to the examination room where my dentist was already waiting and delivered the following unexpected news with a big smile:

Today, I am not going to numb your tooth, because we need to make sure the position of the crown is perfectly adjusted. So you need to feel as much as possible…

Ah, shit – that never sounds good when coming from a dentist.

Previously I had always gotten two shots of some happiness drug. This meant I did not feel anything that she was doing, and I liked it that way. So I was a little concerned.
As it turns out and funny enough, it really did not make that much of a difference, however. Yes: when she was fiddling around with the crown, fitting it, removing it, cleaning the tooth, putting gauze, … I could feel the amplified, ticklish, annoying sensitivity of a tooth that was missing enamel. But in fact this was only a second long and hardly terrible.

Here’s the crown, by the way.

Leo: You gotta humor me and let me take a photo of the crown for my blog!

It’s a steel crown. I could have chosen the zirconium option, but I did not think that was worth the upcharge for a molar that sits at the far back of my mouth.

We tested the bite a few times and it was surprisingly perfect right away. After a little bit back and forth to ensure it really was perfect, my dentist cemented the crown permanently onto my chipped molar. And that was it. Really not that bad.

I am now sitting here writing this and the steel crown already feels nearly as much at home in my mouth as the temporary crown before it. The main difference is that the touch of the steel is much more smooth than whatever resin or material is used for the temporary crown.
But I do not have any pain or any unusual sensitivity. As indicated by my dentist, the tooth is right now a little more sensitive to cold, but this should go away in a week or two.

I’m going next week again for a quick check-up, but it looks like I am finally done with the big dental surgeries of 2014.
Well, that kept me going for nearly 6 months

Update November 20:
I had the check-up today. Everything’s great…

Dentist: Nice and pink… nothing swollen – that’s what I want!

And that’s what I like to hear from a dentist.
Great. So this is done then.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s